In today’s world, every contemporary looking slot machine is created to look and feel just like the classic, old mechanized models. However, they work on a totally different principle. Unlike traditional slot machines where everything is controlled by gears and shafts, computerized slot machines also known as online slot machines, are totally controlled by a central computer which is installed inside the machine.
The contemporary slot machines use step motors to turn each reel and stop it at a predetermined point. These step motors are driven by short digital pulses of electricity which is controlled by the computer instead of fluctuating electrical current that drives an ordinary electric motor. These pulses move the motor with great precision.
Even though it is the computer that stops the reels, the games are not pre-programmed to pay out at a certain time. While for that there is a random number generator which acts as the heart of the computer that ensures that each pulley has an equal shot at hitting the jackpot.
Whenever the slot machine is turned on, the random number generator starts spitting out numbers between 1 to several billion within the fraction of a second. As soon as you pull the lever or press the button, the computer starts recording numbers from the RNG. After that, these numbers are fed into a simple program to determine where the reels should stop.
However, computerized slot machines are taking the place of the traditional ones around the world. Although, if you want to play slots badly and want to win big then you can start playing on slot machines online casino on your smart devices today.
Determine these points to understand how the complete process works in a three-reel machine:
- After you pull the handle, the computer starts recording next three numbers from the random number generator where the first number is used to determine the position of the first reel, the second number for the second reel and third number for the third reel. For instance, imagine that the first number is 123, 456, 789.
- In order to determine the position of the first reel, the computer divides the first number by a set value. Typically, slot machines divide these numbers by 32, 64, 128, 256 or 512. Let’s assume that the computer divides these numbers by 64.
- After that, the computer divides the random number by the set value, it records the remainder of the quotient. So, the computer finds that 64 goes into 123, 456, 789 for a total of 1,929,012 times with a remainder of 21.
- Noticeably, the remainder can’t be more than 64 or less than 0, so there are only 64 possible end results. The 64 possible values act as stops on a large virtual reel.
- Then each of the 64 stops on the virtual reel corresponds to one of the 22 stops on the actual reel. Afterward, the computer consults a table that tells it how far to move the actual reel for a particular value on the virtual reel.
Furthermore, these computer systems have made slot machines a lot more versatile. That means players can now bet money straight from their credit account, instead of inserting coins after every pull.
You can even play online slots while sitting comfortably on your sofa and having a great mug of freshly ground coffee! However, with the computer slots, players can even keep a track on their wins and losses. While the operation is a lot simpler in modern machines where a player only needs to press a button to play the game, rather than pulling the handle.
Apart from that, one of the main advantages for the manufacturer of such systems is that they can easily configure how often the machine pays out.